Who's gonna win through region?

Two hours? That's <EM>PLENTY</EM> of time.

Who's gonna win through region?

Postby mathslug » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:08 pm

Everyone's been speculating on the NS scores this year, but I've been wondering what you guys think about the Science scene this year.

Here's my conjectures:

4A: Region 1 is gonna be Birdville or Dunbar, Region 2 is definately gonna be Highland Park, Region 3 is gonna be interesting since Friendwood is gone, but I think that Nacogdoches is gonna win. Region 4 is my region, and I really really hate to say this, but I think as far as teams go, Lake Travis is the best. They're from our district and they've been our rivals forever. They beat us last year, and that pissed me off personally. We've got a better team this year, but then again, so do they. ARGH. Flour Bluff should be a beast as well.

Individuals to look out for a state: Everyone from Highland Park and Birdville, Me, Alex Petty from Lake Travis, and Mathew Cavascos from Flour Bluff, Brian Ventura from Nacogdoches, and Jesse Lehman Anderson from Klein Oak.

5A: Region I LUBBOCK!!! No Doubts. Region II A&M CONSOLIDATED!!! No Doubts again. Region III (Whoever wins this region will win state) Its either gonna be Dulles or Clements. Clements was a monster last year, but... I'm again not sure this year. Region IV I'm gonna have to say Edinberg North, simply because they have a solid team.

Individuals to look out for at state: Sinyuan Sun from Beaumont, Paul Gustafon from A&M, Emily Puente from PSJA Pharr HS, and Keifer Aguilar from Lubbock.

Is that anywhere near to accurate? What does everyone else think?

Zack
mathslug
Determined Spammer

Winners

Postby Tharinor » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:38 am

Actually, now that Samson and Jessica are gone, Klein will probably be stronger that A&M in Math/NS/Calc on a whole. A&M should probably still win in Science, but Clements will win Science at State no doubt. Region II may surpass Region III this year for 5A, actually probably not. Dulles has weakend some relatively to last year and the year before. Klein or O Connor will probably win Math/NS at State. Calculator will probably still be the PSJA people. Computer Science? One of the Houston area schools (Taylor, The Cy schools)
~Austin
Tharinor
Typical User

Postby makashi » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:32 pm

JChen, A&M Consolidated.
makashi
Typical User

Postby scicat08 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:55 pm

What about the top gun awards and regionals and state? I'm curious about those, do you have any ideas?
scicat08
Typical User

Postby mathslug » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:08 pm

You mean Top Gun at TMSCA state? I'm pretty sure that its just about impossible to name the 5A Top Gunners seeing in how many people can do all 4 events with scores of about 250-300 in every category. Besides, I'm a 4Aer who has only really paid attention to the 4A competition.

Top Gun Seniors this year I think will be Micheal Gummelt from Midloathian, Justin Lin and Jesse Anderson-Lehman from Klein Oak, Brian Ventura from Nacodoches, and if I can pull my act together, me.

Top Gun Seniors for 5A (just from looking at last years) - Pranay Kothari from Hightower, Keifer Aguilar and Kurt Litshe from Lubbock, Oliver Peng from Oconner, and maybe Paul Gustafon from A&M Consolidated.

Zack
mathslug
Determined Spammer

Topgun?

Postby gil » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:10 pm

What events does one have to participate in in order to win top gun?
gil
Typical User

Postby atclubb » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:30 pm

With MacArthur breaking 1000 as a team on the B release, I think they have to be favored to advance to state. Dunno which region they are from though.
atclubb
Typical User

Postby mathslug » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:08 pm

Hey hey hey now. I posted that waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before I knew that the MacArthur people had a crazy good science team. Now that I've seen the competition in Region IV, I'd have to say that MacArthur, O'connor and Mercedes will have the best teams in Region. MacArthur, of course, is the favorite to win by a landslide.

I hope to see that the scores in Region IV come April 13-14 reflect the kind of scores I've had to consistently bang my head against for the past few months. It would be kind of embarrassing to see scores dwindle under the 200 mark after I've been praising 5A region IV science the way I have been.

Now, reflecting on what I wrote earlier... There are some obvious errors in my picks. A&M seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. It could be because they just haven't been bringing their A team to UIL contests, but I dunno. I'm begining to realize that Klien is unfairly stacked in all categories. They should be able to vanquish all Region II foes. I still think Lubbock will win Region I cuz they have Keifer and Kurt. Region III looks like it may go to Kingwood. Dulles is close though.

TMSCA State should give us all a better idea on who needs to be beaten this year. I personally can't wait for state. Its gonna be awesome.

Zack
mathslug
Determined Spammer

Postby bradp » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:52 am

don't know anything about 4A

5A
I - lubbock
II - A&M - Klein's only strong science person is William Li i think
III - Clements, they beat us (kwood) on the A test - we might get wild card to state
IV and State - MacArthur
Last edited by bradp on Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A "fez" is a hat worn in Morocco
bradp
Perfectionist

Postby MistaPotta » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:29 am

FWIW SA MacArthur will be at TMSCA State, so everyone can see them up close and personal.

(so will we, of course.)

~MP
MistaPotta
<sigh> No, I haven't uploaded that yet...

Postby stupidityismygam » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:21 pm

mathslug wrote:You mean Top Gun at TMSCA state? I'm pretty sure that its just about impossible to name the 5A Top Gunners seeing in how many people can do all 4 events with scores of about 250-300 in every category. Besides, I'm a 4Aer who has only really paid attention to the 4A competition.

Top Gun Seniors this year I think will be Micheal Gummelt from Midloathian, Justin Lin and Jesse Anderson-Lehman from Klein Oak, Brian Ventura from Nacodoches, and if I can pull my act together, me.

Top Gun Seniors for 5A (just from looking at last years) - Pranay Kothari from Hightower, Keifer Aguilar and Kurt Litshe from Lubbock, Oliver Peng from Oconner, and maybe Paul Gustafon from A&#;M Consolidated.

Zack

Justin and Jessie are in 5A this year
stupidityismygam
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby polymath25 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:54 pm

In the world of 3A...

Region I: Argyle after coming from 2A with their insane team of seniors
Region II: Competition among weaker schools, my guess is Longview again
Region III: Hampshire-Fannett, the only moderatly strong team in the region
Region IV: This is where the real competition is at. It's going to be a showdown between Cuero backed by their Senior Powerhouse and Wimberley with 2 stong competitors and a few newbies. The winner here will most likely win state. The other team will get the wildcard to state and probably get 2nd

So that's the breakdown on the smaller school sciences. I'm sure most of ya'll don't really care too much, but I find it fascinating.
~Daniel Willis~
polymath25
Random Spammer

Postby mathslug » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:19 pm

Are you sure that Argyle won't be a contender for first in state? I would think that they have a pretty good Science team. Anyways, I hope that your school dominates this year through math and science. I like to follow teams from the central texas area as the results for district and region come in. Its interesting to see how the people we competed against all year are doing in their own divisions.

I remember back in my sophomore year - when I was the Dripping Springs UIL Social Studies stud - and I went and competed at y'alls B contest. You guys took the test along with us but didnt compete. I got 1st at that meet, as did our team, but I think that you guys beat us teamwise, which was very strange to us, because we had been winning 1st all year long. So, as I progressed through the year, I tried to keep tabs on how you guys did. Our coaches were on friendly terms, so we'd each be able to find out how the other one did. When both of our teams got to region, we both destroyed. I got individual 1st, and our team got 1st. I think you guys swept as well. We went into state kind of cocky, and well... it didnt turn out so good for us. Y'all on the other hand had someone place individually, I believe.

So yeah, that just goes to show you that not everyone ignores the small schools. Some of you guys have individuals that can compete with the 5A schools. Does anyone remember when LBJ cared about UIL? Those guys were good. Argyle in 2A had Kevin Burnett of course, and then there Bridgeport, Sillsbee and a much more. Frankly, I dont like downplaying any division in UIL Math/Science. 5A will always have the biggest competition we all know, but then again look at Number Sense in 4A last year. That was amazing! I'm just glad that I get to be a part of the math and science scene for one more year. I hope that I get to make a dent in the UIL records like so many nerds before me.

Zack
mathslug
Determined Spammer

Postby polymath25 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:29 pm

Yeah, you're right about Argyle. For some reason I forgot about them at the State meet. They're definitely contenders and probably have the best shot, which means that we'll probably make 2nd or 3rd. But you never know, I'll definitely keep working and keep my fingers crossed.
~Daniel Willis~
polymath25
Random Spammer

Postby atclubb » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:36 pm

We have been to a couple of meets with Argyle this year. They will definitely be contending for state.
atclubb
Typical User

Postby polymath25 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:35 pm

Yeah I've checked out some of Argyle's scores and they're basically kick but for 3A. The thing about Argyle is that though they may win the state meet this year, 4 seniors on their team will graduate. Also Cuero's main powerhouse will graduate. This means that next year, though i may be getting a little ahead of myself, my school's got a good shot at the state title, as well as myself as an individual.
~Daniel Willis~
polymath25
Random Spammer

Re: Who's gonna win through region?

Postby MisterC » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:15 pm

mathslug wrote:4A: Region 1 is gonna be Birdville or Dunbar, Region 2 is definately gonna be Highland Park, Region 3 is gonna be interesting since Friendwood is gone, but I think that Nacogdoches is gonna win. Region 4 is my region, and I really really hate to say this, but I think as far as teams go, Lake Travis is the best. They're from our district and they've been our rivals forever. They beat us last year, and that pissed me off personally. We've got a better team this year, but then again, so do they. ARGH. Flour Bluff should be a beast as well.

5A: Region I LUBBOCK!!! No Doubts. Region II A&#;M CONSOLIDATED!!! No Doubts again. Region III (Whoever wins this region will win state) Its either gonna be Dulles or Clements. Clements was a monster last year, but... I'm again not sure this year. Region IV I'm gonna have to say Edinberg North, simply because they have a solid team.

Zack

Looks like your predictions are almost right on. Two big surprises were Seven Lakes from Katy in 4A and of course, San Antonio MacArthur. Does anyone know where Seven Lakes came from??
MisterC
Typical User

Postby peterliang » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:18 pm

seven lakes were all sopohmores last year
HI/LO

NS 240/86
CA 255/a really # score
Math 272/208
SC 224/117
CS 232/188
peterliang
Determined Spammer

Postby mathslug » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:40 pm

Things have obviously changed. I never thought Seven Lakes would rise as fast as they did. I'm just glad that I'm a senior and I won't have to deal with it yet.

Zack
mathslug
Determined Spammer

Postby ZachB » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:16 am

Science in 3A is going to change drastically after this year. Until Argyle came along, there was some actual competition for the other places at state behind Gary Binder from Cuero. I almost placed last year but fell a little short. This year I could work on just Science from now until state and MAYBE place. The top six places will be dispersed between Cuero's two powerhouses, The four guys from Argyle, and either Kendra Williams from Wimberly or me. I don't think I'm going to work on science that much from now until state, so it will be between those seven people for the top six places. As far as team science goes, Argyle will win first, Cuero will get second, and Wimberly will get third. Of course, I am saying this based on the current record of scores this year. If a few competitors slack or study a bit, then the picture may change. Overall, I think this an accurate depiction of 3A science.
ZachB
Determined Spammer

Postby ZachB » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:17 am

The point of all that was to say that all these really good competitors are seniors, and the whole scenario will be different by next year. Good luck to anyone in 3A who will be around to see it.
ZachB
Determined Spammer

Postby zefuri » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:04 pm

Kenneth Hu Clements High School what a beast...343 at district
zefuri
Incessant Spammer

Postby stupidityismygam » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:07 pm

he got a 340 on science, check the sevenllamas thread if you dont believe me

overall a subpar score for him
stupidityismygam
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby zefuri » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:08 pm

dang nvm i guess i thogught 343 cuz it was 7^3...we lost a couple good seniors i think in terms of science but uhh we still have some people who are good
zefuri
Incessant Spammer

Postby polymath25 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:05 pm

ZachB wrote:Science in 3A is going to change drastically after this year. Until Argyle came along, there was some actual competition for the other places at state behind Gary Binder from Cuero. I almost placed last year but fell a little short. This year I could work on just Science from now until state and MAYBE place. The top six places will be dispersed between Cuero's two powerhouses, The four guys from Argyle, and either Kendra Williams from Wimberly or me. I don't think I'm going to work on science that much from now until state, so it will be between those seven people for the top six places. As far as team science goes, Argyle will win first, Cuero will get second, and Wimberly will get third. Of course, I am saying this based on the current record of scores this year. If a few competitors slack or study a bit, then the picture may change. Overall, I think this an accurate depiction of 3A science.

Yeah, 3A science is intense this year just because of all the huge powerhouse senior talent. My prediction for state is:

Individual:
1st, Gary Binder (Cuero)
2nd, Chris Wilkerson (Argyle)
3rd, Heath Delka (Argyle)
4th, Kendra Williams (Wimberley)
5th, Justin Johnson (Argyle)
6th, Ryan Kluck (Cuero)

Team:
1st, Argyle
2nd, Cuero
3rd, Wimberley

Sorry ZachB, but you happened to be in the class of insane 3A senior science talent. Fortunately for me, I'm a Junior and so hopefully next year I can sweep up the remains of the Science battlefield.
~Daniel Willis~
polymath25
Random Spammer

Next

Return to UIL Science